Like a striking sapphire, blue eyes are the envy of many. But do you know which hair colours will bring out the best in your baby blues? Whatever your look, there's a perfect hair colour to showcase your beautiful blues...
Hair colours for blue eyes and fair skin
Blue eyes and pale skin are one of the most common combinations. Below are a few of our favourite cool and warm hair colour combos for blue eyes pared with fair skin.
Cool hair colours for light skin, blue eyes:
1. Cool ash blonde: When in doubt, look at a colour wheel to work out your shades. Opposite medium to dark blue, you'll find yellow, which is why cool and neutral ashy hair colours look so good with blue and grey or violet eyes. Bronde (brunette + blonde) is another good option, as well as beige and champagne combinations to give your hair some depth and create an overall ashy shade.
2. Cool platinum blonde: Looking for a bolder hair colour for your blue eyes? If you've got cool undertones to your skin, you'll look fantastic with a crisp silvery platinum shade (or even ice blonde) with zero brassiness.
3. Strawberry: Cool strawberry - or dusky rose, for a darker version - is a popular choice for those with a pale skin tone (and often a natural skin & hair colour combination) as the pink hues emphasise your blush and give you a healthy-looking complexion.
Warm tones for blue eyes and fair skin:
4. Cinnamon brown: Imagine rich, warm brown with a hint of coppery shine! Cinnamon brown looks stunning with blue eyes and pale skin, and you can customise the strength of the copper colour as you see fit!
5. Honey balayage: Sunkissed hair, blue eyes, and we're suddenly transported to NSW surf coast with a retro pair of budgie smugglers. Balayage uses the art of foils to creates ultra natural-looking highlights where the sun would hit. A winner in our book!
6. Dark auburn: A rich, warm brown with autumnal red undertones is ideal for showcasing bright blue eyes, and looks particularly striking when styled in big, Ireland-inspired curls.
Hair colour inspiration for blue eyes and medium-dark skin
An olive/dark skin-with –blue-eyes combination is a rare gem that's worth celebrating and showing off. You can work with either cool or warm hues depending on your skin tone. Here are six more ideas:
Cool hair tones for blue eyes, olive and dark skin:
7. Pastel lavender: Dark skin and pastel hair paired with blue eyes is a striking combination that's guaranteed to make you stand out. We particularly love a pale purple bob or pixie cut contrasted against dark skin.
8. Light blonde, visible roots: Yes, it'll all about visible roots, and less about the perfect all-over shade these days. Play with the effect and try a cool light beige blonde that starts a few inches down the roots.
9. Dark mocha matte effect: Have glossy waves had their time in the spotlight? We're seeing more and more matte styles on social media, like dark cool chocolate or mocha tones that put all the focus on your blue eyes. *Top tip* A dry hair shampoo is a great way to get the matte effect.
Warm hair colours for darker skin tones:
10. Rich dark brown: Do you have olive skin with blue eyes? What a stunning combination! Keep the focus to your face with a one-tone dark brown that's so rich it gives your hair depth and volume.
11. Deep burgundy reds: On dark hair, a balayage or ombré using red tones is a great way of adding some striking colour without changing your shade entirely. Try warm wine tips, or strategically-placed sections of maroon red that increase down the lengths.
12. Soft gold highlights: By adding warm highlights around the face, you'll put your baby blues on display and give your complexion some radiance! Ask your stylist about hair contouring, a technique that uses different tones to give you the most face-flattering finish – similar to makeup!