Thinning hair doesn't happen overnight. To catch it early, be on the lookout for these tell-tale signs...
Thinning hair is extremely common among women with almost a third of women experiencing hair loss. The reason can be due to a combination of family genetics, changes in the body's hormone levels or ageing. These all have the effect of shrinking the size of the individual hair follicles and these shorter follicles in turn produce shorter, thinner and more fragile hair.
If you think this may be happening to you, you may notice one or more of these tell-tale signs:
1. The spot where your hair naturally parts is widening.
2. When you pull your hair back, more of the scalp is visible underneath.
3. There's more hair left on your pillow than before.
4. The hair often looks flat or doesn't hold a style very well.
5. When you brush your hair, more strands are left behind in the brush.
6. In the shower, you see more hair collecting in the drain.
7. You may be more prone to sunburn on your scalp.
8. When tying your ponytail, you may feel that it's thinner than before.
Getting on the front foot is your best defence against thinning strands – and the earlier your spot the signs, the better. If you suspect your hair is thinning, then it's time to call in the experts.
You will first want to see your doctor to rule out any medical reasons for the hair loss and any medical treatment options. If it's all clear on that front, the next step is to head in salon and speak to your hairdresser about a densifying and thickening treatment program – such as the L'Oréal Professionnel Serioxyl Treatment Kits and Serums. With consistent use, this combination of in-salon and home care products will help get your hair back on track.