Slicked back hair for women doesn't have to look greasy or wet. Instead, think glossy and textured hair that leaves your face free and flyaways under control, all with your hair down. Here are our two favourite ideas for everyday slicked back hair.
Smoothed back & matte finish
As we said, slicked back hair for women doesn't have to look oily. In fact, it can even be slicked back with a natural, bordering on matte, finish. The secret? Dry hair shampoo, our go-to product for whenever we want to mattify our hairstyle.
1) After washing and towel-drying your hair, apply a nut-sized amount of the Sleek & Swing gel to your hair, focusing on the sides (for that slicked-back effect).
2) Blowdry the rest of the hair normally, but use a concentrator nozzle when it comes to drying the sides, so that they are especially smooth.
3) When dry, take your Super Dust powder and lightly spritz all over. Wait 1-2 minutes, then use your fingertips to massage the dust into the hair without messing it up. This gives the almost-matte effect.
4) Comb the side sections of hair neatly behind your ears and secure invisibly with bobby pins.
Textured & slicked back sides
Have complete control over your hairstyle, even when loose, with this slicked-back look. The sides are shiny yet textured, adding a modern, graphic touch. Plus, this style is great for drawing attention to highlights or colour variations in the hair.
1) Use a smoothing shampoo and conditioner like those from the Absolut Repair Lipidium collection by Serie Expert. Healthy hair has more radiance.
2) After washing, while hair is still wet, apply a small, nut-sized amount of Fix Max gel to the sides of your hair, focusing on the hairline around the temples.
3) Comb through to ear level (leaving the lengths gel-free).
4) Use the concentrator nozzle on your blowdryer to dry the hair straight, using your comb to slick down the sides and create a textured and combed finish.
5) Blowdry the rest of the hair smooth, with just a hint of a flick at the ends for fun.
Slicked back hair: bonus inspo!
Tempted to smooth your hair back more often? Here are more ideas of how to style slicked-back hair for women:
Slicked-back hair with fade
Traditionally considered a "man's" haircut, we say women can wear their hair however they want. Including with a fade cut (graduating shave) on the sides and the top slicked back. Use a shine-enhancing gel like Fix Max to give definition and control. How much volume you want up top is up to you.
Slicked back hair with ponytail
An ideal way to put the focus on your face and silhouette, slicked back hair with a ponytail is also a practical day-to-night option. Plus, it's a go-to look if you haven't had time to wash your hair and it's starting to look a little oily. Use the Wet Domination Shower Shine hairspray by Tecni.ART for an ultra-shiny finish and strong hold.
Inspired by our top slicked-back hairstyles for women? Go forth and stay smooth, sleek and sensational!